Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Different paper for better results

QUESTION: Hello, I am trying to do a somewhat abstract painting with watercolors. I am using 140 lb. canson watercolor paper. I am pre wetting areas and then applying the color so it will spread randomly. However, I don't even have that much water on the paper but It fuzzes up and starts falling apart. Would bumping up to 300 lb. watercolor paper help?  Colin

SUSIE'S REPLY:  Hi Colin,
You might want to try another brand of paper.  Just because the weight of the paper is 140# does not mean they share the same equality.  Bumping up to 300# Canson will not guarantee a better outcome.
The sizing and cotton pulp is the same in the 140# and the 300# of Canson.
Try Arches 140# CP or Stephen Quiller 140# CP by Richeson
Both of theses papers will hold up when soaked in multiple applications.
I hope this helps!
SUSIE

No comments: